Thread: 1977 450SL ???
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:55 AM

Beware of greeks bearing gifts.

I have a 1980 450 so what I can tell you may or may not be an issue.

I had fairly good luck with the wiring but not with the extensive vacuum system. Heat and age are the enemy of the rubber connectors in the vacuum system and the lines can get brittle from engine heat over time.

A 30 year old car is not going to be without its minor and possibly major issues.

Look at the stance of the car, does the front end look as if it is sinking?

Best case scenario is bushings worst case there could be significant damage to the front end.

Look at all the places where road salt can damage the lower panels.

Look closely at all the trim where salt and moisture can get trapped next to the body.

Look at the paint on the front fenders directly above the headlights are there bubbles in the paint?

Does the engine smoke?

Does the transmission shift smoothly?

Is there any significant rust?

If you can get the car on a lift, inspect the entire underside of the vehicle. Start at the rear of the car and with an awl or very thin punch look for places where the undercoating looks out of shape or bubbled.

Probe through the undercoating and if the awl or punch doesn't meet resistance, you probably are biting off an awful lot to chew. Work your way toward the front and make note of everything you find.

Check the condition of the exhaust pipes, mufflers, and catalytic converter.

Also look for significant wet oily/greasy build up near the rear seal on the engine and front of the transmission.

Will it need a rear seal?

Look at the drive shaft and rear end. Is it leaking any where? Will it likely need restoration or replacement?

Again there are the basics of trouble shooting, and then there are specifics with the 107's.

I remember reading somewhere that the catalytic converter on these cars migrated from a location under the hood to a placement further back.

I cant remember the last year it was under the engine compartment...

I want to say 75/76 but I could be wrong.

Has the car ever been wrecked? It wouldn't hurt to get a car fax report.

And last but not least is there a significant amount of reusable parts on the vehicle?

As a PARTS CAR I have seen these go for as much as $3500 to $4500 to a private buyer and as little as $75.00 to a salvage yard.

It really boils down to what you are trying to get for the car.

I would like to see pictures of the car, or better still would be a video with sound of the car running, hood up, shot of the guages and odometer, shot of the exhaust. That would give us all a better chance at determining a rough value.

Feel free to email me from here on my profile if you have any more questions.

Steve