View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 05:52 AM

I just installed my new glow plugs...

And I am more than a little bit bummed that after all that trouble only one of them was bad.

They were MB Beru plugs but I doubt they were original.(232K miles)

I am still getting the grey smoke at startup that I thought was partly due to glow plug issues.

I am now suspecting that it's an injector problem.

I have new Monark injectors on their way from C. Sean Watts so if they are the culprits they won't be much longer.

After the engine warms up all the smoking goes away but I think it runs too loud in general(I don't have the bottom sound deadening capsule so that might be part of the problem.

I occasionally get what I consider a miss at idle while in gear like at a stop light or stop sign.

Outside of resetting my timing what other issues should I be looking at if the injectors don't resolve my smoking and rough running?

I would also like to say that I am getting 30mpg religiously now that I have switched to Mobil 1 Truck and SUV oil.

On the Rotella Synthetic I never got above 28 mpg driving exactly the same way and I also am using/leaking less with the thinner Mobil 1.

I wasn't having to add much to begin with but with the Mobil 1 I haven't added anything after 4K miles.

I know I am losing some from the IP because the gaskets are apparently shot.

I also suspect that I might be losing some via the Turbo.

I'm not sure which seal or whatever could leak oil into the intake air stream but there is a little bit and some of it makes it's way out the shaft where the butterfly valve used to be in the intake.

So, I am getting the best MPG I have ever gotten in this car, I have new glow plugs installed but it still runs noticeably rough at start up especially but also at idle.

I think it must be largely due to injector performance.