View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Banned

Yeah, it's hard to find something like that cheap!

I thought about making my own but have never gotten past thinking about it!

But, if I did I'd seriously look into mounting the gear on a shaft, then have the shaft pass thru a mounting plate say 3/4" thick steel, have another gear with finer/more teeth mounted on the shaft, then a large nut mounted last. You could then use a rachet/extention on the nut to turn the gear and rotate the engine when you needed to. You would also mount a pawl off to the side of the second fine tooth gear, when you wanted to lock the flywheel in place lever the pawl over locking the gears in place. You might be able to disassemble an extra/junk starter and use the gear, shaft, and starter housing mounting area as a basis for building a tool. I think starters from many other engines will fit in place such as 103/104 maybe even 617's although I don't have one in front of me to compare!

This way say you where doing a leakdown test or a valve seal replacement where you will need to be both rotating the engine and needing to lock the flywheel in place, you could do it easier. If you use the tranny lock tool you would need to R&R it each time you needed to rotate the engine to work on the next cylinder, with a starter position tool such as I've described you could pull the starter, install the tool and then rotate and lock the engine in place as needed, then when the work is done remove the tool and reinstall the starter.