View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 PM
CAJUN COUNTRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
have you ever had one of these break a cam before? I have. Your assessment is based on what?

You don't know what you have until you pull the head. I bought a motor once with a siezed cam shaft. The cam was siezed but the bottom end was free. I wouldn't be surprised if the bearing damage is not major and the bores might well be just fine.
Walgamuth. thanks for the positive motivation.
I went to the pull a part. Had to go 150 miles to get the overhead can and supports, but I did a valve job installed every thing and it still turned rough so i didn't run it but for a moment. I pulled the valve cover and the area was dry of oil. Had to be the oil pump I thought. The only oil pump I could find was 150 miles away on the same 240 I got the overhead cam from. I had removed the pump and it was broken. If I'd thought to check the oil pump when the pressure was low I'd probably have saved the cam shaft. It must have gotten damaged when the oil pan got busted. I changed the filter also. After installing the pump and filling with oil It started up easy and ran smooth after a few seconds. I SAVED IT FROM THE DOOM EVERYONE ELSE WAS PREACHING TO ME. Also thanks to PHIL for telling me a pump from a 300d was alike in looks buy wouldn't work. I was going to take one off of a 300d.
OH Happy Day.
Moral of the story. If your pan bets banged bad check the oil pump no matter what.