View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5a1234 View Post
Thanks Graham, Tomguy. Having your help in this is fantastic!

I have attached a (poor) quality picture showing my MAP sensor with a 4 mm Allen key in the screw. The Allen key does not make contact with the interior sides of the screw, which may mean that it has been stripped, as Tomguy suggests! Hopefully you can see enough detail. Mine definitely does not have any hex shape to the inside! The Allen key is pushed in as far as it will go.
Unless you have a CO analyser, it's probably a good thing if the MPS adjustment is stripped You really cannot adjust this without measuring the exhaust CO (or as I did, Air Fuel ratio). You can try adjusting the ECU knob - it only works at idle and you can't do any harm by twiddling it one way or the other.

But you should get the vacuum leaks fixed first. (BTW - I use a propane torch with hose attached, but you need to be careful about not opening it too much so that gas gets into the intake.

Have you checked your fuel pressure? I have had fun adjusting my mixture by adjusting the fuel pressure. With the AFR gauge, it is easy to see the affect the fuel pressure has at idle and while driving. My car runs lean at 28psi and rich at 35 psi. This is less sensitive to adjustment than the MPS is.

But, considering your MPS hex socket has been stripped, it does sound like your mixture problem could be there. Maybe you could get a slightly larger key to fit? Or maybe look for a used MPS.