View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerSD View Post
When you push down on the MAF sensor plate on a CIS engine, it floods and stalls.

Hypothetical situation:

a CIS engine set up with a filtered cold air induction nozzle below, If driving along and you get a big gust of wind, and it pressureizes the intake tube, will it push the plate down and flood the engine?

It stalls because it's metering enough gas for about 1500 liters of air at idle. When you push the plate wide open, it meters gas for about 13,500 liters, thus "flooding" the engine.

I assume you mean a scoop or pick-up, not a "nozzle" - like a road-height "cold air" induction system? Don't waste your money. The difference in temperature between your grille and 8" above the road is about 1-3 degrees. With a naturally aspirated 4.5L engine, that's not enough to make any difference in performance.

Anyway, to answer your question, MB's aren't the only vehicles with pressure plate type MAF's (though most of them are located elsewhere), and none of them have ever flooded due to gusts of wind. Besides, it couldn't really pressurize the tube - with all the bends in it, it would simply create turbulence.

Oh, and road-height air pick-ups are also a great way to soak (clog) your air filter when you hit a puddle at speed.

Unless stated otherwise, any question I ask is about my greymarket 1985 380SEL.

Last edited by dhjenkins; 11-09-2009 at 09:35 AM.