View Single Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compu_85 View Post
If you forced more air into the engine that could cause the plate to move giving more fuel... but you would also have more air in the engine to burn the fuel

Nitpick: CIS does not have a mass airflow sensor. It has an airflow meter. It has no way to know the actual mass of the air... that's what a hot wire or hot film MAF is able to figure out. Similarly my SDL has an airflow meter... a plate that is spring loaded and is forced open by air moving past it.

-Jason

Of course, you'd also have to have the engine spinning fast enough to do something with that extra air. If the throttle isn't pretty wide open, there's really nowhere for that extra air to go...

You should do an experiment with your existing pick-up tube to see how fast you need to go for any "forced induction" to take place. Get a vacuum gauge that also has a + side (usually called combo gauges for testing older domestic fuel pressure); 15 psi is more than enough. Put a small fitting in near the halfway point between engine & entry in your existing tube, and run some vacuum tubing under the back of your hood and duct tape the gauge to the windshield.

Let us know how fast you're going when/if it hits +2 psi (speed will be lower in cooler weather).

Unless stated otherwise, any question I ask is about my greymarket 1985 380SEL.

Last edited by dhjenkins; 11-09-2009 at 11:13 AM.