View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Who's flying this thing ?

Buy it without question! IF it is the right warranty

Normally I despise those after market warranties, as they are LOADED with profit to their sellers, and the FINE PRINT in them that you can't be expected to read and understand, screws you over when you need it.

READ especially the EXCLUSIONS, and see what is NOT covered? Things like door handles or raidioknobs that fall off, like in real life, and see if it's a bumper to bumper one; if IT IS bumper to bumper (EVERTHING) I would probably take it.

If not, I would have to think about it?

Who is selling the warranty, MERCEDES BENZ or some private insurance company that could go out of business tomorrow?

Is it transferable to the next owner? Several years ago the Mercedes Benz ones were NOT.

They ended
when you sold the car even if there was more time on them, and that costs you resale value if they are not transferable.

Another thing here: The reports are coming in that ALL Mercedes Benzes are a pile of dung from 2000-2007. You have at least a 50% chance of winding up with one of these.

One reason for this is the marketing is going wildly downscale: Ads screaming "You too, can drive a brand new Mercedes for $299 a month!!!" (the cheapest ones, leased)

So they are being built and sold cheap, and trading away the brand equity for more quick sales.

Stuff like computers and sensors and wildly complicated impedimentia are going bad here.

And Mercedes Benz dealer service rates are around $175 per hour and going up. Can you afford that, out of warranty.

Finally, a friend in Los Angeles a couple of months ago told me he asked about the new Mercedes autos, to a friend of his who is an actual tech at Mercedes Benz dealer there, in the Service Department..

And the guy told him "They have NOT gotten better, even since 2006. They are all pieces of $hit.

We are already getting 6 months old 2009 models in the shop, and they are a mess, sensor, computer and other problems, hellacious to repair.

I would never EVER buy a new Mercedes today."

^^^^^ And he should know!! He gets paid to fix them, every day at a Mercedes Benz
dealer's Service Department in Los Angeles!

One more thing, the waranties sold at dealerships are NEGOTIABLE.

There is often FAR more profit built into those warranties for the Finance Dept. than even in the new cars themselves!

So argue and haggle a second time over the warranty price! You can save HUNDREDS of dollars!!

I would, considering the car you bought, and what could go wrong, the price to fix, and likelihood of your needing it, think you should get the warranty.

But make sure it is a good one, that they will stand behind (and I DON'T mean: waaaaaaaaaay behind ! ) preferably bumper to bumper, because you will probably NEED it.

Over and over.

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)