View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 12:56 PM
Fold on dotted line

Seat dilemma-- your opinions, please

I brought home the all-white 1983 Euro version 380SL yesterday and I know it needs two things: seat repair and re-sealing of the hard top.

Here's the issue for the forum on the seats:

The interior is done in multicolor (basic blue with bits of black and white) original MB tex. The front buckets both have broken springs in them, but the material is in VERY good shape, with no tears. The car only has about 37,000 original miles on it. One of the reasons I got it is lack of use. The car back seat looks like it's never had a single butt sit on it, which amazes me. But the second owner, from whom I bought the car, is 71 and stored it all last year. The original owner died.

I intend to have the seats repaired immediately so there are no tears. I know my friend Don, who owns the upholstery shop, and has done lots of cars for me and I have steered him lots of business, would like nothing better than to repair the springs and redo the seats in white vinyl, leather or whatever I wanted.

The cloth is ok, and it's clean and not worn. The side trim panels look fine.

The question: Should I

1. Repair the seat springs, restuff and re-install the original MB tex ?

2. Reupholster the seats only and leave the trim panels in blue ?

3. Redo the seats and the trim panels, perhaps all in embossed white?

To help you judge, the car is all white, with white hard top and black convertible top.

Or should I use another color? Or should I go white on white?

Don wants an answer by January, so I have time.

How much would a custom interior that is non MB affect the value, if it's tasteful?

I have also thought of replacing the rubber mat that's in the trunk with a flat board and carpet, like I find in my W123.

Your opinions, please.

Thanks

1950 170SD
1951 Citroen 11BN
1953 Citroen 11BNF limo
1953 220a project
1959 180D
1960 190D
1960 Borgward Isabella TS 2dr
1983 240D daily driver
1983 380SL
1990 350SDL daily driver alt