View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Don't Tread on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerwagen80 View Post
I don't want to build a "fake", I hate fiberglass kit car garbage fakes as much as the next Classic Mercedes Owner.

If I ever have to speak to another VW gazelle kit owner drone on about "how much his car is worth" while I'm out in my 1980 450sl It will be too soon.

In my original post I stated that if I owned a real 500-K Courier it would be a Concourse restored car that never see's the road because the car is so rare the risk of losing a million dollar car to some yokel who isn't paying attention is too great.

I also stated that it's not about creating "valuable investment" but a real steel bodied car that will be driven daily and has the dependability of a solid and proven Mercedes power train.

If my tongue in cheek delivery confused you, Mea Culpa.

I have owned several collector cars and currently have another "REAL" Mercedes.

I am sick of seeing knock off's of the famed 500-k special roadster they always seem to be fiberglass crap convertible and the kit car crowd is not my scene.

What you never see is the elegance and style of the Coupe or the Courier
and never in real steel.

I'm not looking for a "project" I am considering building a custom steel coach that happens to be on a Mercedes platform or if I can't reuse an orphaned Mercedes platform at least reuse the majority of a car whose steel body has lost any or all usefulness.

Again this is not going to be an expensive kit that is worthless when finished. It's not even necessarily going to be a costly build as I can and have done most of the work on other builds and rebuilds myself.

As to it being time consuming I am retired and I have plenty of time.
A bit defensive aren't you? Relax, build whatever you want. But in reality, it will still be a replica. Albeit, a nice one if done well.

Last edited by 450slcguy; 11-20-2009 at 02:09 PM.