View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 AM
lighthouse

Thanks for the advice.

I'll keep it in mind for an option if I can't find a turbo kit for the 300.
Fortunately the project is not time critical. Always wanted to do up a car, but ran into a few snags with this one, beginning with the head gasket. The car was described as an 'unmolested example' which I now interprate as 'no-one has done much to it in 16 years, including servicing.'

It came with a new viscous fan and was quoted as having a new v belt; seller seemed a bit put out when I pointed out new belts don't show signs of wear that quickly. It was also described as a smooth runner. I did not take too much notice of that one, for after all how smoothly can I run? (not very). Showed signs of water leakage from the heater.

Was rather upset when v belt broke up passing Retford, smashed the gearbox oil cooler feed in the process, sprayed the engine bay in ATF and blew what was left of the electrics. No power, no drive, truck close behind, and stuck in a contraflow. Heater blew when the engine boiled, dumping water everywhere. Rang RAC rescue at 11pm, got home 5.30am.

Had I been racing home I would have been less upset, but as I was cruising at 55 because of the transmission vibration from the 'smooth runner' I had less patience.
To be fair, so far its the only ebay buy that let me down.

Got home, had a drink, thought seriously about setting fire to it, and started to put it back together. Which explains the lack of a hurry. It's not going anywhere.

Oh, and if you ever do dealings on ebay with a salesman in london, watch out for the one who's feed back includes a negative strike and the phrase
' Cavet emptor, liberate tutame ex inferis ' and stay away from the prat.

Al