View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62iia View Post
Part of the problem could be my issue.

I had owned a 300D prior. Don't know much about the 300SD and turbo, it could be there and I just didn't know to look. Took his word on it.

The seller does not seem to know much about the vehicle. Unaware of vacuum locks, preheat the glow plugs, many other basics........ He bought it and drove it, he's a pickup truck kind of guy.

Car sems to be in reasonable shape a little surface rust, 2 rear windows don't work, a/c worked, blower had been replaced, front end had been rebuilt, my main concern is the no top gear. the rest can be addressed.

The price is very very reasonable well under $1000 which would allow for misc. repairs. He was asking $2,200 before the top gear issue.

He did state that the top gear just stopped working one day. It has not been driven since.

With the kick down being stuck, how does this effect the top gear? How do you fix it?
9 times out of 10 that minor surface rust turns into hidden rot. Inspect it without rosy glasses, lift up all the carpets, etc. etc. I would run far far away from your description, especially considering the guy you're buying it from doesn't really know how to take care of it. You can unplug the kickdown switch, located underneath the accelerator pedal. When you step on the pedal and floor it, it sends an electronic signal to the transmission to upshift. Check the fluid level also - incorrect levels can do some funky things.
- 2007 Saturn sky redline
- 2004 Explorer...under surgery.

Past: 135i, GTI, 300E, 300SD, 300SD, Stealth