View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
https://fintail.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBalles View Post
X2 you best hop on that rust. Did you check to make sure you don't have gaping holes in the floor?
There are some small holes in the floor and trunk. I can't do much about the rust until late spring when it is warmer. The left rocker panel will probably need to be replaced entirely.

Right now I am working on making it a reliable driver to get me through the winter. I'm going to either clean the fuel tank or have it cleaned (was full of black particles and plants when I drained the tank), and I am going to clean the hard lines with brake cleaner, either clean or replace the tank screen, clean the tank sending unit (which is not working), replace the two fuel filters, and replace all rubber fuel hose.

I also have to exchange the oil filter kit I got for another one as I got the wrong part number. The rubber elbow on the valve cover needs replacing as well as it is leaking majorly. Then I will fill the crankcase with some Mobil 1 synthetic 5W40 turbo diesel truck oil that I got on the cheap side. I will also siphon or drain the oil out of the injection pump and top off with new oil. The oil bath air cleaner element will also be cleaned (in gasoline) and topped off with oil.

This should get me by until I can afford/find time to replace all coolant hoses, replace thermostat, water pump housing gaskets, flush the cooling system, and fill with Zerex G-05 coolant.

After this I think I will replace all brake and clutch hoses, flush system, and replace with fresh brake fluid.

I don't know what to do about the rusty spots. I have tried naval jelly/rust remover on my last car, but it didn't seem to work at all. I could use a rust converter, but I would rather get those spots down to bare metal and prime/paint.