View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 04:18 PM

And now... A Word From the Seller

It broke my heart to see the "repair estimates" on my old car. But like most car stories, the onion has many layers...

This car was driven over 1,200 miles before I ever heard of any problems. The last tank of fuel it ran gave me over 25 mpg in around town driving - and that's a 1983 5 cylinder!

Here's a hint regarding the fox-in-the-henhouse "repairs" mentioned: This included $45 for an oil change. New shocks? No leaks and perfect damping. (Upgraded by P.O.) Brakes? Not even close to the indicators and rotors as smooth as glass. The other estimates, while from a private garage, looked like a dealer's assault on a wealthy 75 year-old widow.

As far as checking out the car, I thought it was great. Drove it 5 days a week for 3 years and took very good care of it. The buyer, on the other hand, would not even look at the transmission fluid or oil dipstick when I suggested it. Instead the choice was made to just drive it across country.

Now I've got a '92 W124 diesel that came with several unreported issues to cope with. However, now that I own it, I also own the problems. The previous owner will never get smacked around here or anywhere else.