View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 04:58 PM

W210 Diesel Questions

OK, I'm getting that itch again - Rudolph needs too much work before he'd be ready for Texas (ie, replacing the vacuum vent pods in the dash - no A/C in Texas is akin to cruel and unusual punishment) and it'd probably cost a fortune to get a shop to do it - no real place to work staying in an apartment for the forseeable future. So I'm getting the notion to get a newer used MB diesel - one that's ready to drive from the get-go - to have down here until such time I can decide what to do with Rudolph.

Seems to be several mid to late 90's W210 diesels down in this area for under 10K in price. My trouble would be deciding which year with which features would be the most trouble-free and which engine/drivetrain combo would suit me. Here's the breakdown the way I understand it from wiki-world -

'96 - NA 606, old reliable 4 speed auto tranny
'97 - NA 606, new electronic 5 speed auto tranny, fuel tank upped to 21 gal
'98 - turbo 606, electronic 5 speed auto tranny
'99 - turbo 606, electronic 5 speed auto tranny w/ select-shift

And at some point in this progression, they went from a LSD rear end to traction control as well.

Other than that, I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to this model. Within a 200 mile radius, there's at least one of each year listed above for sale used - both a '99 and a '97 within 15 miles of me.

Opinions, common problems, years to avoid? Any input would be welcome.

Mitchell Oates
Mooresville, NC
'87 300D 212K miles
'87 300D 151K miles - R.I.P. 12/08
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD 67K miles
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club