View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Registered Biodiesel User

Shopping for a 210

The turbo version of the OM606 is considerably more powerful than the NA version in my '96 and in the '97. The NA engines do OK if you allow them to wind up but they don't produce as much torque at low RPMs as the turbo version.

The '98-99 models are far more electronic and therefore harder to diagnose and repair; personally I prefer older models like the 123 and the 124 -- simpler and easier to work on. A code scanner is pretty much required for any of the W210s. Front and side airbags are standard beginning in '96; I don't know if the later models added any others.

The engine in our '96 has 265,000 miles on it but has never had any serious maintenance. It's a really nice engine. Everything including the timing chain is original and I have not had any glow plug sticking issues, having had to change only two glow plugs so far. The engine compartment of the NA version is less busy; it gets pretty crowded with the turbo and intercooler stuffed in.

At 248,000 miles I put Mobil-1 synthetic transmission fluid in the 4-speed and caused a front pump seal leak that I could not stop. Ended up having to get the transmission overhauled. The mechanic said that the "hard" parts were all good and the "wear" parts would have been good for another 50,000 miles if I had not messed up the seals. Not having to replace any "hard" parts saved me a lot of money. Mercedes used that 4-speed for over ten years and it is pretty bullet-proof.

The 5-speed transmission was new in '97 and is said to have been troublesome that first year. There are a number of people on this forum who are very fond of the '98-99 version of the 210 with the 606 turbo engine; I'm sure you will hear from them.

Regardless of the year-model you choose, pick the one with the best set of service records showing that all of the needed maintenance has been done. This is especially true of later owners, who sometimes skimp on maintenance if it is "non-essential" or "expensive" or both. Even my car had a few things that needed doing when I got it.

Jeremy

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-Diesel family
1996 E300D (W210) . .338,000 miles Wife's car
2005 E320 CDI . . 113,000 miles My car
Santa Rosa population 176,762 (2022)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 627,762
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970