View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiggle Dog View Post
That is cool! I have the rear chrome posts for sale if anyone needs them. You would have to transfer a set of upholstered parts from a set of front headrests.
Amazingly, your news hasn't changed since you last mentioned it 22 hours ago.

I did the swap today. Like brainlair described, I was able to pull the rails off the seat back from my 500SEL parts car by bending back the crimped tabs, and they went right on to the same spot in the 300SD no problem. 10 minute job, really.

The only problem was with making those holes in the seat for the headrest. I tried to cut the holes perfectly so there weren't any tears or potential for tears, but I think I made them a bit too small and the eyelets tore it a bit going in. It wasn't visible at all so I wasn't too worried, but it didn't take more than the movement of reinstalling the seat back for one of them to tear far enough to be visible (just a couple mm but now it'll probably keep creeping). It's a good thing my 300SD is in craptacular shape over all anyway .

brainlair, when you do it, make sure the holes are big enough (but obviously not too big) and (I wish I'd had this idea earlier) you could probably put some strong duct tape or something on the inside portion of the MB tex before you cut it; I would think that reinforcement would help keep it from tearing.