View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
No it really does not apply other than the get it running as close to factory specs as possible part. If you have a NA diesel, adding more fuel without the more air to burn does nothing as far as more power. You must add more air AND more fuel to get more power.
In my experience an NA will benefit more from optimization of intake and exhaust than a turbo will - for the exact reason that Brian stated. On the turbo, it will compensate (mostly) for the inefficiencies. Without the turbo to compensate inefficiencies cost you more.

On my first diesel, an NA F250 pickup, I built a custom Y-pipe to a 3" exhaust system (replacing a 2.25" system and the crappiest flowing y-pipe design in automotive history), and installed a straight through muffler.

Then I added a dual intake ram-air setup. After installing an EGT guage I started dialing up the fuel a step at a time until the EGTs started getting out of hand - at which point I dialed it back a step.

I picked up over 15 ponies (calculated HP based on vehicle weight and timed 0-60mph runs vs. stock rating). Not a huge improvement, but almost a 10% increase in HP, and the cost was under $250 - including the EGT guage...
99% original unmolested car
~210k miles on the clock

1986 Ford F250 4x4 Supercab
Charcoal & blue two tone paint over burgundy interior
Banks turbo, DRW, ZF-5 & SMF conversion
152k on the clock - actual mileage unknown