View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4_Welder View Post
Never, never adjust the gearbox until you make absolutely sure all the rest of the system is up to par. That should never need adjustment unless it was defective in the first place, and tightening it can cause major problems like a locked up steering system, bearing failure, failure to return to center, and very stiff steering.
Mine had a bad center link when I got it, combined with bad strut rod bushings. It would wander all over the place even after I replaced the center link. I suggest you get under the car and start moving steering and suspension components around to see what's loose.
I'm sorry to disagree but it should be adjustable. It is designed to be adjusted. Checking for loose other parts is good advice though. No harm can come from adjusting the box before replacing other parts though.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.