View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Dead on balls accurate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71inka02 View Post
bmwpowere36m3 - I too am 'old school' BMW, and a loyal CCA member for over 23yrs...notice my screen name. But sadly, as many automobile manufacturers drifted away from building the cars they originally set out designing and building BMW lost me in the mid 90's - as they did many 'old school' loyal owners....especially when they introduced 'I-drive' -- The BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, etc, etc., manufacturers now design and build to appeal to the masses, the soccer moms and the country club snobs -- While performance is still a driving factor, it's not the key factor in design...Engineers have lost influence and all is driven by the 'marketing' groups....It's all simply big corporate business now -- Don't get me wrong, I support and make a living from the 'corporate' world......

But when it comes to cars - I still enjoy the 'old school' stuff. A car that allows you to feel the road, and enjoy the passion and thrill from driving - Something easy to maintain and work on...some weekend wrench turning is needed therapy for many...

I have newer cars in my fleet, but I have made the conscience decision to to remain 'old school', and choose a W123 for my daily driver, and never feel regret or get discouraged - I've been fortunate in my career, and could be driving a new whatever if I choose.......But I don't need or want it....I get grief and comments from friends and neighbors as to my old loud, smelly, slow, smoking W123........But who cares - It's the passion for me that's important, and I do so enjoy hitting the roads and stretching the legs of my turbo diesel....

Diesel on my brothers.........

I agree with you 100% Notice MY BMW is a 1984 BMW lost its way years ago and while the cars are fast, they are not exciting in the way the older ones are. Too many gadgets, stability control, ABS, Traction control and CUP HOLDERS ruined them - add in the Banglization of the product line and you might as well be driving a Honda.

Back on topic, as I said, I ran Seafoam through my 1974 Jeep when I got her. I poured a bit down the carb throat at a time getting about 3/4 of a can into her then I poured in enough to stall it. I let it sit for half an hour and started her up. The carbon coming off the cylinders smelled like BBQ!

I use Techcron injector cleaner in the gas tank of the Suburban and the BMW probably 4 times a year.

The SDL has only had one DP treatment as he gets highway driven around 1000 miles a week...

Current
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280SL
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone
'74 Jeep CJ5
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW