View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Head gaskets are always dicey due to the many unknowns that will be encountered during the job. One can ignore many of the issues found and do a quick and dirty head gasket, but this doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

A mechanic is going to hit you for $1200. in parts and labor to do that job if he doesn't do any of the associated "while you are in there" issues that develop.

When I did the gasket on the SD, it took the better part of four months........working sporadically..........and sending the head out to Metric for a complete rework. The engine got a water pump, new starter, new downpipe, jet-hot exhaust manifold (which did not stand up BTW), adjusted wastegate............all while the head was away.

The total cost of everything ran to about $1500. including the $650 spent on the head (new exhaust valves, new prechambers.

I have to tell you that this engine still puts a smile on my face every time I start it. 20°F............glow till the light goes out...........turn the key without any pedal..........and it's instantly running at idle without the slightest hint of stumble or a miss. The engine has 210K on the clock.