View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showme View Post
OK, I'm back to the house again. I took my can of silicone spray and a few welding picks, along with a lighter to heat the key, just in case. I used the spray, then still couldn't get the key in, so I jiggled a part that was in the way out of the way. I took my heated key, and wiggled it in, then after a second or two of that, I was able to turn the key and start it. (After I had it cranking, I realized it hadn't had any glow time, but it tends to not want to start if you stop short the first time. Plus, I wasn't taking any chances of it not getting that far again. So, she's home and I left the key in it just in case. The wife says it's been giving her problems, but never a situation where it wouldn't turn if the steering wheel was knudged a little. This just didn't want to let the key in. Is it possible for the tumblers to be falling apart? Or is this a cold weather thing? Thanks for your ideas, everybody. It sure was a nice feeling to know that there was at least a chance that there would be somebody on line that could offer some good advice. Though I was really sweating bullets thinking about having to do that steering column work in this frigid weather. For some reason, the wind is making it feel like ten out there instead of 25. Thanks again. Lee
Here is all the data that you need on the issue.

Ignition Cylinder Tumbler replacement; mixed diesel/gas
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/142232-ignition-cylinder-tumbler-replacement%3B-mixed-diesel-gas.html#post1065596