View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned

I'm intimately familiar with the sagging rear on the SD.

Before condemning the springs, which is the classic approach by most, here's what I found:

1) The diff mount and subframe bushings on the rear were in excellent shape. Must have been replaced by the PO at some previous date. I replaced the shocks with new Bilsteins about two years ago. So, nothing to do with the rear is going to help the SD short of new springs (which I do not yet believe are necessary).

If your diff mount is shot, that's the first thing to do. Same deal with the shocks.

2) Got into the front end in a big way over the last year. Pulled the springs and found that the spring pads were the thickest available............19mm. I removed them and replaced them with the thinnest available..........8mm.

The front end came down about 1.5" and the fenderwell clearance looks proper.

The most interesting phenomena is that the back end gained about 1" during this endeavor. Apparently, lowering the front causes the rear to rise slightly.

So, the SD looks just about perfect now. Slightly high in the rear with no fuel and slightly low with full fuel. Cannot get better result than this.