View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
1984 300SD

Brake pad and center bearing puller

A 5/8" x 14" bolt and a sliding weight makes a good slam hammer. The two rods with a bend on the end will hook into the holes in the brake pads. One slam and the pad slides out.
The other attachment holding the small bolt is used for pulling the pins for timing chain work. The weight is turned to fit a lower support joint to hammer it out.

The long reach puller is for pulling the center drive shaft bearing. Make the hooks to pull against the inner collar to save the bearing. The angle pieces were cut at the MetalMart for $5.00 for the pair.

Dropping the differential is a lot easier when it is secured to the floor jack. The hand is 1/8" plate. the two holes match the two bottom bolts on the diff door. Drain the oil first.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Made Special Tools, This is where members can share how they made special tools-300d-brake-pad-puller.jpg   Home Made Special Tools, This is where members can share how they made special tools-300d-14-inch-bolt.jpg   Home Made Special Tools, This is where members can share how they made special tools-300d-bearing-puller-parts.jpg   Home Made Special Tools, This is where members can share how they made special tools-300d-trani-hand-jack.jpg   Home Made Special Tools, This is where members can share how they made special tools-300d-center-bearing-puller.jpg  

God made me an atheist and who am I to question His wisdom