View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 12:17 PM
johnbonds

Loud drumming noise in cabin

'82 240D 4sp, 200k daily driver, owned since 1986:

Rebuilt USA started solenoid failed after 10mo. service, and it was a replacement for another which failed before that. I didn't want to do yet another starter change during exam week--so took it to a well-respected local indy (StarMotor in Charleston SC). I specified a new Bosch starter. In the process of installation, they found the alternator bolts loose, so fixed that. Then another call, reporting the motor mounts needed replacement. I was a bit puzzled by that, as they had been replaced incident to clutch replacement in Aug 07; but authorized them to go ahead. I retrieved the car on a Saturday after I turned in my grades (they left it outside with the keys inside the car--I brought the other key...). When the car started (nicely), there was an incredible thrumming or drumming sound inside the cabin. Not like anything I'd ever heard before from the car, and a lot of vibration evident in the whole car (the hood pulsated). I got out of the car to listen, opened the hood, but the noise outside was quite normal for a cold diesel. Back inside it still sounded like a agricultural vehicle. I drove it home. At speed, it is much better but still quite noisy.
When the engine warms up, the noise diminishes a bit--but it still well above normal in the cabin.

So I took it back the next week. They put it in the shop, returned it, saying they had neglected to refasten the exhaust pipe bracket properly and had put on a new one, as the engine was "now higher than it had been with the old motor mounts." This was now Christmas week. It sounded a bit better, but not much. I took it home. Again, it diminishes at highway speeds, but is still very noisy inside.

Off for the holidays, leaving the car in the garage. After a week, started it and it was as bad as it had been that first (cold) day. So, I've been reading in the books. I think it may be possible that the shop put in motor mounts for a 617 rather than a 616 engine, which would account for the rise in engine height in the car. But more likely, the engine shock absorber (if it was fitted) or the engine stop was damaged or not reinstalled correctly when the motor mounts were installed.

I'm sure this has happened to someone else here. Can you provide some wisdom? How do you suggest I approach the repair shop? I don't want to fix this myself, as I don't have a hoist and just don't want to do the work that I've already paid for ($1200 total for that starter and motormounts).

John Bonds: Charleston