View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 06:44 PM
diesel enthusiast

Rob --- please update your profile with you location.

I don't think it is possible without removing the door panel.

Anyway, on a 300SDL, to remove the door panel:
1) There's a piece of trim that sits on top of the door panel at the back of the door panel near the lock push down button and runs to the top of the door --- you have to remove this first. Open the door, there's a screw on the back edge of the door about 1/4th of the way down from the top. Undo the screw, then the trim will swing away at the top toward the front and lift out.
2) Unscrew the door push down button.
3) "Open" the inside handle and pry out the black plastice inset behind it. If you pry along the back edge, any mark you make will not be visible.
4) Unscrew the 3 screws holding the door arm rest --- look underneath the door arm rest and you will see 2; the 3rd screw is behind the black plastic inset you removed in step #3.
5) Look at bottom center edge of door panel --- sometimes a screw gets placed here to hold the door panel on......
6) At this point, I think the door panel pops out about 1/4 of an inch with the use of a wide drywall blade and then lifts straight up. You probably should have removed the puddle light at the bottom of the door before doing this step......my memory is fading....

There are 5 or 6 hangers that "HANG" the door panel --- be careful....you do NOT want to break ANY of these hangers.

Good Luck.

Links:
Current Car --- 05/2012 1984 300D Light Ivory, Red interior
Cluster Needles Paint
New Old Stock (NOS) parts

Past:
3/2008 1986 300SDL "Coda"
04/2010 1965 190D(c) "Ben"
& many more

Last edited by daw_two; 01-01-2010 at 06:55 PM.