View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
Much gratitude for all the helpful comments and information. A few other details:

The IP was timed with the old timing chain in place.
The valves were adjusted then.
Then rolled in the new chain.
Then put in the injector nozzles. They were balanced using the ************** pop tester. BTW, one old injector dribbled fuel and erratically sprayed, sometimes releasing at 1500 psi, other times at 2700 psi. All rebuilt injectors did not leak, had good spray patterns, and were balanced. I thought the knock would go away, but it did not. Definitely got better.
The turbo shaft does not have play in it.

From the suggestions from the forum, I will:

Recheck valve clearances (doubt this is the culprit)
Recheck IP start of fuel delivery (doubt this too)
Replace valve stems seals (the smokey exhaust is really, really bad on startup, and becomes just really bad when warm)
Re-examine the vacuum system for leaks.

Once again thank you for all the information.
I will post the outcome of this when completed.
Will

Here's the thing. If everything you say has been done then you shouldnt have a problem. Considering everything that has been rebuilt and the good compression you shouldn't be smoking. One thing that comes to mind might be a leaking fuel return line. Air intrusion there could cause some smoke.

I still think that you should be cracking the injectors separately while the car is running to determine if the smoke is coming from one cylinder or possibly all of the cylinders. This is such a simple thing to do and can tell you a lot. At that point you can start chasing the right things.

Please report the results after you do the test!!! We can figure out the problem, but you should start simple in order to not overlook things and to keep moving in the right direction!!!!