View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Nate View Post
Oh, I see you're in Yorktown, too.

Removing the injectors isn't bad. You need a deep socket for removing the injector body - one that clears the barbs for the return lines. I have a craftsman socket that I bought recently that doesn't clear them all the way. I'll probably go pick up the Mercedes tool and be done with it. The dealer in Hampton (Tysinger Mercedes) seems to have a good parts department. They're open often and have quick turn around for things not in stock.

The injector return line can crack or not seal properly when reinstalling. It's probably quite age dependent.

As to what's involved with cleaning an injector, often the injector body is disassembled, the seats are lapped flat, the nozzle is replaced or cleaned (I'm not sure of the process), and the injector is shimmed to the proper pop pressure (it requires a pop tester - there are prebuilt ones or you could make one yourself). There are also a couple of members here that rebuild injectors. C Sean Watts is one and is in NC (and is quite a nice guy). I'll probably have him do my injectors when I get around to it

I've taken my car to ********, but I still have mixed thoughts about the shop. I'm not sure if they dislike working on older diesels or not. I have plenty of repair records from the shop from the previous owner and not all their prices seem bad (if you want to know what some of the jobs have cost, PM me). What injector cleaner did they recommend BTW?

-Nate
Nate; Released the pressure on all six, and engine stumbled as expected. Also listened to all six injs with screwdriver to ear and all appear to be lifting. Really at this point , I'm thinking a sunk lifter or bad valve. Any hints. -RAY-