View Single Post
Old 07-04-2002, 09:31 AM
WmHarlow

My main kit contains enough to overhall an engine , but my regular kit (small one that stays with me always) contains a screwdriver with interchaneable heads to accomodate slotted, philips, torx, and hex heads of varying sizes (came as a nice set from Black & Decker). I also keep a small (6") and large (10") crescent wrenches, and the same size chan-L-locs. My socket set is metric and SAE 3/8 drive with regular and deep-well up to 19mm (I think). I also keep a stubby set of Craftsman wrenches that are 8 - 19mm?

The tools, tape, jumper cables, spare lengths of rubber fuel line, flashlight, batteries, spare belts, small tire plug kit, and small air compressor (type that plugs into cigar lighter) all fit nicely into a 24" duffle bag in the trunk.

I also keep 2 gal of oil, 1 gal of pre-mixed antifreeze, and 1 gal of washer fluid in the left fender well. They fit perfectly. I run a bungee cord through the handles to keep them from rolling around when I turn corners. I also try to keep small bottles of power steering, tranny, and DOT4 brake fluid in the spare-tire area. Lastly, and very important, is the fire extinguisher which is mounted to the trunk wall right above the left brake light.

I don't go the grocery store without all these things with me.... I've been stranded too often! If I am going on a real trip, I also toss in a couple of gallons of fuel just to be sure!

Sorry about the length, but I was just trying to make the point that you can have most everything you need for an emergency in one, small bag, and it will not cost you a lot of trunk space. Airlines will not allow the tools as carry-on luggage, but you can easily fit the necessities in a suitcase or duffle-bag for check-in luggage. Keep all your tools separate from other luggage, and BE SURE to let the airline know you are carrying tools. Request a visual search of the bags or they will detain you for a strip search and make a mess of your tools. You may want to call ahead and verify what tools your airline will allow as luggage.

Good luck, and post some pics when you get a chance.