View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 03:33 PM

92 S300 SD--Do I want this motor? (like the car)

The long term reliability of the 5 cylinder diesel up to 1985 is a wonder to behold... ! I know about these motors and that they will run and run. Had a couple!

A change in my home location and an ill colleague suddenly means I am needing to drive about 900 miles a week--180 miles a day with a not great back. The 92 S seats are really good for the old back (!) ... but the 6 cylinder motor--don't know enough.

I am seriously considering an S300SD with 127k miles. Exceptionally clean, good maintenance records and driven daily.

I have heard conflicting reports on the 92 300SD and its head gasket. Some say that once the new version head gasket is installed the motor will go well into 300,000 miles + ... others say if there are no oil leaks by now, it is reasonable to say, this car is not going to need the $2000 head job.

I would really love to hear from those who have experience with this 6 cylinder and/or who know about the motor. Your knowledge and help will be great appreciated about this motor.

Cheers, Grant