View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 03:34 PM

Well, here is what I got back from the inspection. I must admit I was expecting most of this (except for the A/C compressor - that worries me).

Any thoughts on how hard this is to do myself?

The engine coolant thermostat is indeed stuck, to replace it would run $294.00 including flushing the coolant.

The oil pressure sender unit is faulty. $180.00 to replace

The transmission has two leaks. One is from the electrical connector and the other is from the parking pawl seal at the rear of the transmission. $558.00 to fix both including the fluid & filter change.

The windshield washer sprayers arenít working. The tech said that it might be either the main pump or the aux pump that isnít working. I can get you an estimate if you want.

The A/C compressor isnít engaging. It might just need a recharge. We can do that for about $220.00 or you can wait until the weather warms up a little to worry about it.

The 3rd brake lamp isnít working. It just needs some wiring repair at the trunk hinge. $150.00 to fix.

The lower engine oil pan is leaking. (I think this is what you told me I would tell you). $275.00 to reseal including the oil & filter change. (This is with non-synthetic oil).

The engine camshaft magnets are just starting to leak. $310.00 to replace both, but okay for now.

The engine mounts are collapsed. They look like the factory ones and are due for replacement. This isnít a safety issue, but bad mounts can cause excess noise and vibration because the engine is transmitting more onto the frame of the vehicle. $873.00 to replace.

There is a small coolant overflow tank near the right side fender well. It looks like it was damaged by an impact of some sort. Also the inner fender liners in that area are also damaged or missing. It would run about $429.00 to replace both fender liners and the overflow tank.

The rear tires are wearing on the inside. It could be something as simple as just being out of alignment or it might need a new camber link in the rear. The rear tires are a bit wider than the factory ones, so that might be throwing it off too.

The left front inner tie rod end link has some play in it. Not super serious at the moment, but it may be a good idea to get it replaced before doing an alignment. $190.00 to replace and $99.95 for the alignment. In addition the steering shock is blown and not doing itís job. $126.00 to replace.

The front wheel bearings are loose and just need to be adjusted. This is also recommended to do before doing an alignment. $50.00 to adjust the bearings.

The little dome light in the trunk is not lighting up when you open the trunk. It looks like the sensor on the latch is to blame. We would need to replace it to get the light working again which would be about $307.00

The upper front shock mounts have just some small cracks in them. Okay for now, but keep an eye on them, these cars used to have issues with those breaking and the shocks coming through the hood.

The main battery failed our load test. It might be an indication that itís on the way out, but starting the car okay for now. $190.00 to replace the battery.

The brake fluid is fairly dark in color, the tech would recommend to change it. $115.00

The serpentine belt has some small cracks in it. Itís just staring to get a little old. $170.00 to replace. The left rear side marker bulb is out. $35.00 to replace. The left front blinker lens is loose, the rear half of it is broken. Itís not going anywhere, just something the tech noted. $158.00 The right front headlamp surround is broken/missing. $265.00 to replace. The engine air filters and climate control filters are pretty dirty. $190.00 to replace both.

96 SL 500

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke