View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 06:03 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnik View Post
do you have any idea how you want to alter the governor setting?
I mean what will be the result of your adjustment (after swapping elements)?
More power clear, but will the governor keep all the functions?
Or even better can you provide a Bosch instruction with your modification for each setting?

Tom
Tom

My experience has been with 5.5mm Element PIs. My 240 has a bad Element and I want to put 8mm Elements to go with the turbo I have for it. That would be my first working with larger elements. I would combined extrude honed nozzles with the larger elements with the goal to reduce injection dwell and increase fuel atomization at the reduced injection dwell, (pulse width).

The targeted goal, regardless of element size, is improved drivability. To me, drivability is made up of qualities that include, smooth and reliable power, predictable reliable performance, good fuel economy, no/low smoke, good lifespan.

"More power clear, but will the governor keep all the functions?"

Yes, the governor(s) are individually adjustable and yet react to each other to some degree. For example, that is why the idle speed changes when the Torque Control is turned up. After not being able to get my engine to return to idle after following the information available on a few different forums, I took a sep back focusing on how a basic Governor works and visualized what each IP Governor does,(Idle, Torque Control, Max speed), and how it does it in correspondence with the other Governors, and figured out how to adjust the Idle and throttle to allow the Idle governor to do its job after adjusting the Torque Control.

The result is, in the case of a 616, that the dash idle control is not needed, even with the A/C on. Improved bottom end / mid range torque and throttle response, with a stronger high end pull.

The total amount of fuel on the top end is about the same in an effort to keep EGTs in a reasonable range due to the poor VE at high RPMs, but by adjusting the TC, I can shift the fueling curve to allow more fuel at lower speeds, (higher VE), and reduce the reduction curve as PRMs increases.

I have seen some Bosch manuals and I am talking with a pump shop in an effort to get some tools and a copy of a manual. After talking with the pump teck I think the best way to go is take a pump that I tuned up off a car and get some base line measurements. Pull the pump down, put it back together, bench tune, and run it. The only spec that I think is needed from Bosch is the start of injection height. The Governor settings are fueling rate related and I could not find any setting ranges other than stock.

My approach would be to put electronic linear motion sensors on the rack and the injection fueling rate/volume cylinders and monitor RPM. This would allow me to graph the, fueling rate and Rack position, curves in relation to each other and RPM. The idea would be to find the desired injector volume at idle, and full power, (an individual engine/driver specific specification), then adjust the individual governors to get the curve that best fits the drivers drivability expectations. A bonus would be to put the PI on the engine dyno and verify the set up.