View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
general nuisance

Quote:
Originally Posted by compress ignite View Post
It's ALMOST impossible for them to fail in a "PARTIAL" mode.
you either get Voltage @ the Pins or you do not.

You might be able to make a case for "Dirty" contactors inside the Relay,
Some have taken the cover off and gently cleaned the "Dirty" contactors
with superfine Emery.

The One GP that measures 18 Ohm is Really Bad.
I'm not debating whether this plug is bad, I agree it's bad but it's not nearly as bad as some I've dealt with before on other cars. I've never had a plug that tested at this level of resistance terminate system operation.

Quote:
When you're measuring the Voltage to the Glow Plug Harness Relay Pins ,is the Harness plug disconnected from the ReLay?
Yes, plug disconnected and V taken directly from relay pins.

Quote:
If the Harness is still plugged into the ReLay, that 18 Ohm GP could be pulling down the System.
agreed, but it's not connected so the downstream components didn't impact.

Quote:
What's the Voltage @ the Power supply connector (The RED ,HOT @ all times) cable at the Glow relay when the system is in active "Glow". That 12.9 volts with the Key in your hand is nice...BUT tells you nothing about what's going on in operation.
You know tbh I didn't check that reading because my understanding of the ignition switch contribution to the GP relay doesn't impact voltage reading at the non-switched 12v+ connector. In other words, non-switched power, i.e. direct connection, shouldn't change.

Quote:
I'm still hesitant to condemn your GP relay.
Well I can pull it out and take it apart, I've taken them apart before, just not this variety.

Thanks for helping me try and diagnose this problem. I'll post back if I can get out there and take a reading on the 12V constant power with the ign switch on.

Steve A
90 Passat variant TDI 6 speed MT
94 Chevy K1500 6.5TD
05 E320 CDI
+ others