View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
Unfortunately there is no adequate way to test the quality of Glow Plugs but to put them in your Engine and use them.

Being American made has not helped the Autolite Glow Plugs for Mercedes as far as quality is concerned.

It would be nice to have another choice.

One of the internets part sellers sells the Bosch Glow Plugs for less than $9 each. The last time I bought some they were made in France.
Your comments are exactly on the mark. I have tried to get some background on the experiences of users of this slightly different approach. Initial indications are that they might be good. I see no evidence our favorite brands of plugs are copy catting yet either.

What I do understand is the ability of a wellman or beru setup to glow much hotter than any normal plug we currently use can. Then when the peak design temperature is arrived at they will self regulate it. You cannot do this with a normal plug as they would burn out probably the first time used. The element would have to have lower resistance.

So much current and heating would then occur they would just self destroy. Wellman appear to be using the second coil to increase resistance as it heats up in effect lowering or controlling the first elements ability to use excessive current. Those two coils are most likely in series. I also suspect the tip is made of a much tougher and higher temperature metal.

The individual self regulation possibly duplicates for all practical purposes the expensive beru set up. It does appear from what limited information from users on the 6.2 and 6.5 engines is the engines do fire off much easier.

As you say someone should try a set for durability. The rest of us can sit back and watch. I do not need a set of them myself for mercedes or I would. Anyone needing a set of glow plugs could start the ball rolling.

Autolight and champion do not appear to be labels they made as far as I can tell. Althought to stay honest I do not know who built those garbage plugs. If wellman did I would stay away from them.

These plugs are a possible upgrade for our older engines that are too important not to start checking out. I have little doubt they are not like champion or autolight concerning quality. There would be no one year warranty. Although collecting on warranty can be a real issue with a lot of things.

I read of one gentleman cold soaking his engine for a few days and starting it at -30F with these plugs. It was a 6.2 or 6.5 gm but even they will require the use of a block heater much less cold than this. He freely stated the engine sounded horrible at that start up temperature. The important thing is it did start. I still feel these plugs just might increase the serviceability of our cars in colder climates.

I will report my first impressions with the 6.5 when those wellmans arrive. He posted he has shipped priority mail yesterday.