View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
So F&@%ING Hollywood Baby

Ha, bustin' stitches over here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snookwhaler View Post
LOL!!

I hear you (literally)! I had my neighbors looking over the fence a couple times to see what in the hell was going on. A few of the wrenches made it half way across the yard. But I did it outside and in the rain, I was cold, etc...

I'm glad you got the bolt figured out. Those little things can get to you sometimes. Frustrating...

Good job!

Rogue wrenches and all. Sometimes I spend a good half hour retrieving those things from their comfy spots in the sheetrock and other odd locations. Fun fun. Outside in the cold rain? Now I feel like a primmadonna! I won't even get down on the garage floor for the little rain that creeps past the door seal that I just might get wet by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-osprey View Post
I love it when being cheap pays off with invaluable experience.

If not for my own innate cheapness I wouldn't know squat about cars.

I feel compelled to interject here, osprey. You may be confusing cheap with intelligent, at least with regards to wrenching and DIY on these benz's. It's all about perspective. Step back and look at the entire picture. Five bennies (in the high range for an axle) on an auto with a value of what? Hmmm, sure ok. How long will it take me (including the research) to accomplish this same task? A Saturday afternoon and the investment of simple and useful tools? Overall financial outlay still a fraction. I don't know what the exact word is, but "no-brainer" comes to mind.

Speaking of which, two things that continue to boggle my mind to this day...

1) The pervasive mentality in our society, STILL, that we need to spend trailer loads of cash or credit as the first solution to every problem, irregardless of size and impact. All before exploring other, usually more logical answers.

2) How FN easy these cars are to work on! Oh and CHEAP too. OK, putting my helmet back on.

PS okyoureabeast - After you extract the offending bolt, take one of the remaining three down to your local hardware facility. My local ace has an amazing selection of bulk hardware, lots useful in automotive appllications, grade 8 and whatnot. And get this, I can buy just one if I want!!!! Have you ever heard of that?

FNHB
1982 300CD "FrankenFemme" 178k - Eyes only TS-XWRKS transplant abomination (loc. classified)
1980 230CE "Lulu" aka "Terminal" 277k - Dying the slow death
1985 300CD "Gerda" 203k - She ain't playin' SOLD
1983 300TD "Svetlana" 240k...and pleading for more. SOLD

"What a heavy load Einstein must've had...F&@%!NG morons everywhere!" - David Lynch