View Single Post
Old 07-05-2002, 07:55 PM
Certified diesel nut

The price is $2500 minus my cost to fly out here and drive the car back (special deal; the current owner's a member on this board and wants to help ).

I don't know when I'd be able to get a compression test done; I have to be home by Monday night no questions asked. I don't know what availability's like during the weekend...

The tranny seems to be shifting into a higher gear too early, unless floored, but I'm honestly not sure. The fluid looks okay offhand. FIrst time I floored the engine, I got a nice big cloud of black smoke, but it seems to have been burning pretty cleanly since...

I tried blocking the blow-by, and got varying results...3 times, with 16 seconds, about 10 seconds, and 8 seconds (last time). I also noticed some cracks near the fitting on the valve cover...also, I smelled the exhaust and it smelled a bit sweet...no white smoke whatsoever, and he says he's never needed to add any coolant...the water temp's been varying between 80°C and 100°C, varying probably due to the hot and humid weather...also, the electric fan in front of the radiator appears to be dead. There was a little bit of oil in the intake, and the air cleaner was downright disgusting...it needs to be replaced before I leave if I buy the car.

Not sure if I left anything out...
Previous oilburners: 1980 IH Scout, 1984 E-350, 1985 M-B 300D, 1979 M-B 300SD, 1983 M-B 300D
Spark-free since 1999