View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM

You've come a long way baby - General 300SD running questions

After a month plus of daily commuting and a long trip for Christmas, I'm satisfied that the engine of my car is solid and that the recently swapped transmission will stand the test of time.

I've performed a valve adjustment which worked wonders for the way the car runs and idles. The car achieved approximately 27mpg with highway cruising at about 3k RPM. The valve adjustment cured smokey idling and the overall noxious fumes that existed around the car.

I'm still curious about smoky accelerations. Not horribly smokey, but a notable pigpen trail as I pull from lights with a heavy acceleration.

I do have some blowby as evidenced by removal of the oil filler cap. I also see that smoke does carry into the air cleaner as well, but oil consumption is nearly nil even after 1500 miles of mixed city and highway driving.

While I've not run a compression test, the car starts without the aid of the glow plugs to nearly single digits. I have a replacement relay on the way and have readied the system by testing wiring and replacing original glow plugs with new Bosch plugs.

So, here are the questions:

Smoke out of the tailpipe? A concern? Remedies?
Aside from valve adjustments, anything under the hood that should be checked or adjusted to address acceleration smoking?