View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
My experience with the W-126 suggests the exact opposite. Springs are replaced when the culprit(s) lie elsewhere.

The SDL did benefit from new springs, however, the new OEM springs did nothing to raise the height to a proper level. It required custom springs to accomplish that goal.

The SD achieved proper height (within 1/2") by adjustment of the front spring pads and ensuring that the diff mount was reasonably new on the rear.

Quite a bit can be done with rubber on these vehicles, especially with the pads above the springs.........if folks would bother to check to see what they currenly have.
Brian, your advice is solid thanks spring pads are a help

With a car sitting closer to what I would expect it sat when new. I still wonder if you believe that the original springs are adequate. I generally drive without much in the car, not so much to save weight but I don't care for clutter. However, with a full tank of fuel, a 3-ball roller bowling bag, a handful of tools and my briefcase or a suitcase the rear sits low and the front sits high.

I plan on replacing front suspension items including tie rods and ball joints in the near future as well. They need replacement per visual inspection, creaking and my deductions of condition based on my forum searches.

I will inspect the rearend supports as well.

So, the question being. The total weight in the trunk not including the weight of the fuel is less than 75lbs. Would this have been enough to sag the car when new? Is this now a firm indicator that the springs may be due for a replacement?