View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 PM

W123 windshield replacement-water leak/long post

As you all know, I've had this really annoying water leak problem for a couple months. I took out the drivers side carpet and pads. They were totally soaked in the last storm. I pulled apart the carpets from the pads,
laundered the carpets and dried the pads over a couple WEEKS! They finally dried out......then I found the left passenger side was FULL of water, that I missed, after a couple storms. I did the clean up drill on those carpets and it took even longer to dry that pad. The water is dripping down from somewhere in the left windshield, and running down
to the little space/ "water reservoir" by your left foot. It overflows into the vacuum hose channel, and migrates to the passenger footwell. Since
all the carpets are now removed, I just throw a whole roll of paper towels
down now when it rains. I called a reputable glass guy, bought a new OEM
gasket( 130.00 ), and and OEM windshield (246.00). This glass guy told me he wouldn't even do the job without an OEM gasket, so take note of that.

He also stated he wouldn't do it without a true BUTYL sealant.

That sealant has been banned where I am, and he said he could get it from Canada where it was on backorder. I went on line and sure enough I found that it is hard to get in CA. Are there alternatives? Does this get used around the window gasket between the gasket and the body, or the gasket and the glass? I've done about 3 windshields on 60's cars, and didn't use any sealant at all successfully. I broke my fourth attempt at a windshield install on a vehicle, so I hired this guy to do the TD.
I want this install to be done properly. Is this sealant nessesary? I don't
want to wait for the backordered Butyl. Is this guy stalling me or something? He has the best tech rep in the area. I'm not used to hiring
anybody, as I always do my own work on everything. I'm not used to failing,hehhe, and I hate being at the "mercy" of other people's schedules.
So is this elusive BUTYL necessary, or am I being "schedule manipulated"?
I plan on keeping this TD until I croak and want it done as properly as
I WOULD DO IT :>) Opinions please.
Yes I have cleared all the drain points, including the cowl vent today.
It HAS to be the windshield gasket, heh, I hope. Comments folks?
66 GMC-Work- Given to my stepson
83 BMW Airhead- Given to my stepson