View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltham View Post
Hi guys,

I'm probably less sophisticated than most people who are on the forum about Mercedes but I'm in the market to buy a used Mercedes. My budget is $6500 so I'm looking for an older Mercedes but I'm so uneducated that I need help understanding:
1) Pre-2000 what Mercedes models are good and reliable? I'd like someone that's sporty and fun
2) What are key parameters that I should be aware of? e.g., what's the threshold in # of miles that I should work within if I want a reliable car? (I need to drive 30 miles a day) What's the oldest model that I should look at? etc.
3) This one is really elementary, but can someone break down the different classes of mercedes and explain the key differences between these models and how they rank relevant to each other? For example, E class vs. S class, which one is the better/more luxurious/etc class?

Thanks so much for your input and help!!!
The only way to promote more controversy here would to include " Sarah Palin" in the title, or ask about motor oil.
Everyone here probably has their own answer for that question.
For me, the diesel models of the W123, and W126 chassis are the cars of interest.
The diesels appeal to me because they have no computer, nor their attendant sensors. On older vehicles, those sensors, and their wiring begin to fail, and you get the Check Engine light.
Diesels, OTOH, are much simpler--cleam fuel, functiong glow plugs, and they are happy. They return excellent fuel mileage.
OTOH, they ONLY make sense if you can, and are willing to do your own maintenance.
If Air Bags are important to you, then you are looking at the final years of the W126.

And because no one has yet said it, the MOST truthful statement about Mercedes ownership is, ...
"THERE IS NOTHING MORE EXPENSIVE THAN A CHEAP MERCEDES."

Documented service history is EXTREMLY important.