View Single Post
Old 07-06-2002, 10:57 AM

This squeak drives me crazy Please Help

Hi Folks:
I have a squeaks on both side in front of my 300D Turbo 1985. I located them on the area of upper control arm. Sprayed a little silicone spray, and went away for about 2-5 minutes and comes right back. More niticeable at low speed. Really bad squeak. Also when I stop and go, stop and go it squeaks every time I apply the break and every time I take my foot off the break. The road condition has nothing to do with the squeak. It happens on the nice roads too. I just put in brand new Bilstein HD about 50 miles back, but the squeak was before that so I gueass its nothing to do with the shocks.
SO I looked at the rubber bushings for upper control arm inner and outer bushings. The inner ones looked a bit disintigrated ( but had another 25-30k life on it) but I replaced them and also the outer bushings replaced. The ride became much tighter and nicer. but the sueak returned in few minutes. When I hold the upper control arm and ask my wife to bounce the car, the squeak can be felt on the upper control arm esp towards the outer end of the control arm. When I come to a stop put car in park shut off the engine and get out of the car I hear the squeak or creeek sound again. Also if I lift the car from the fender above the wheel and leave it down, it goes down with squeak. I have ordered new upper control arms now and will replace it but then what? What if the squeak is still there after replacing the control arms? The springs looks very very clean no rust shims for the springs are nice and clean.
I am just going nuts with this noise. Can someone please help me. All the front tie rods - inner outer and center-, steering damper, steering idler arm etc. are new, front sway bar bushings are nice and clean.

PLEASE HELP. ANY HELP will be appreciated.

MVK

1985 300D Turbo 179,000miles