View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM

My local Sears Hardware store is great...bring in the sick ratchet, or even just the damaged "guts" and they'll hand me the new gut kit, with gears, pawl, tang, the whole insert. I like to install my own in the handle so I can lubricate it while it's apart. They do stock refurbished ratchets on a rack near the register, but I refuse those...they are beat up, some have initials engraved on them, they're a mess. The new ratchets are nothing to jump up and down about either, except the Thin Profile line, so I just rebuild my old round head fine tooth Moore Drop Forge/Easco-style ratchets and keep on truckin'.

As far as the decline of Sears, tools are the only things I'll buy there anyway. Their basic tools are serviceable, but nothing special. Their higher-end tools are made by reputable manufacturers, like Danaher Tool Group, who also makes Matco, NAPA's nice line, Allen, K-D, etc. You just have to know what you're looking at. I think Danaher also makes their cheap ratchets, but they're building them down to a price point, and I can't stand the way they feel.

Do yourself, buy good ratchets, it's worth the extra $$.

Last edited by davestlouis; 01-17-2010 at 10:17 AM.