View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywat View Post
Mike, Thanks for identifing the additional vehicles.

X2 on ceramic fuse base with copper fuse metal. The fuse box itself is what melted on mine. I assume the ever present fuse spring pressure, combined with the excess heat, pushed the inlet fuse contact far enough into the soft fuse box to prevent a good enough connection to power the blower.

Thanks
Harry
I've noticed that the OE fuses in my Mercedes, as well as Mercedes, BMWs & Volvos at my local Pick-N-Pull, are ceramic, but have aluminum strips. I suspect that also contributes, over time, to deterioration and excessive heating at the copper fusebox contacts.
Ironically, many of the plastic, aftermarket fuses have brass or copper strips, so I've started scavenging those to rewire my blown OE ceramic fuses, at least for high-drain items like the heater-blower.

Otherwise, on my 240D, I was able to pry the blower's inner fuse contact out of the melted fusebox plastic, and clean both contacts sufficiently to not have further problems, so far with a ceramic fuse. But lately, I'm not driving that car so much either.

Alternately, I was able to pull the fusebox, and transfer the blower wires to a vacant, undamaged set of contacts in a friend's '83 300D. So far it's also been working OK - with a ceramic fuse.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Last edited by Mark DiSilvestro; 01-17-2010 at 11:37 AM.