View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Rogue T Tolerant

I need some statistics help

Hey everyone,

I've always struggled with this basic concept of independent and dependent variables in statistics. I've googled and talked directly with my teacher but I am still have trouble with this homework assignment. Out of the ten I have here are 4 that I am struggling with. All I have to do is identify the independent and dependent variables based on the statistical question.

Here are the questions with my answers. Did I answer them correctly?

1. Exposure to television shows with sexual content leads to risky sexual behaviors.
IV: television shows with sexual content
DV: Risky behaviors

2. Children and youths exposed to media content about the risks and responsibilities of sexual activity are more likely to develop healthier sexual behaviors.
IV:
Children and youth exposed to media messages
DV: Sexual behavior

3. Acts of altruism, empathy, cooperation, volunteer work, community participation, and "helping" behaviors are likely to be increased by exposure to pro-social media content.
IV(s): Pro-social media content
DV(s): Acts of altruism, empathy, cooperation, volunteer work, community participation, and helpful behaviors.

4. The amount, type, content, and context of media exposure from infancy through adolescence critically influences cognitive, social, behavioral, and physical outcomes.
IV(s): Media exposure (amount, type, content, context)
DV(s): Influence on cognitive, social, behavioral, physical growth

The best part of this all is I can handle the mathematical section just fine. I had to do stuff like this in high school and I struggled with it then.