View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmblood58 View Post
Do CV's get a squirt of gear oil in boot in addition to greasing the joint with CV grease?
After doing a DIY on these boots (search my name with cv boots), I would say that it is possible to add grease (or oil) in to each existing boot while the axles are in-place (without removing the axles). Although in my case I removed the axles and replaced the boots with Dorman's and used semi-syn oil axle oil instead of grease.

If I were to add grease, I would simply remove the clip around the boot (probably on the axle end instead of the shaft end - or both), slide the boot away from the axle, find a way to suck or remove the 'old' oil out of the axle, then apply the grease.

Once greased, slide the boot back and re-clip. You can get new clips from NAPA. Do not use wire ties as clips. You can actually reuse the old MB clips if you remove them properly. You will need the clip tool. NAPA and AZ sell them.

If you want to clean out the axle joint more effectively, take the axles off the car so you can work on it much better.

This is all on the premise that the old boots are still in good shape.

If you want to replace the boots without dismantling the axle, there are a few threads here covering that including mine. The FEBI boots will require you to dismantle the axle which I think is not meant to be a DIY b/c I believe its much more complicated than rebooting.

Also, I would not gamble on the Advance Auto Axles. I put a set on and they immediately made noise. Thats when i decided to reboot. Rebooting is not that tough. Just get the right tools (cone and clip tool).

Do a search. there are plenty of threads on rebooting in the forum. Here's the one I did....

96 C220
97 Explorer - Found Another Home
2000 Honda Accord V6 - Found Another Home
85 300D - Found Another Home
84 300D - Found Another Home
80 300TD - Found Another Home
Previous cars:
96 Caravan
87 Camry
84 Cressida
82 Vanagon
80 Fiesta