View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Rogue T Tolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleton Hughes View Post
What's their platform? eyepatches, walking the gangplank for misdemeanors, keelhauling for capital crimes and free grog for all?

Let's not forget pieces of eight for tax refunds.
I love what you said! But their platform makes a lot more sense then you can imagine. They're becoming a driving force in Europe because of the insane copyright system. People accused of (meaning no proof is needed) infringement have the 3 strikes rule which can eliminate their internet access.

There platform tends to be the same but here it is in a nutshell:

1. Improving and toughening privacy laws and limiting the state's police powers.
2. Reinstating constitutional laws such as freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, etc and actually punishing those who infringe on them.
3. Eliminating software patents and dead patents by requiring that a tangible product be made to maintain a patent.
4. Lowering the 100+ year copyright to the pre 1970 limits making copyright reasonable while allowing works to fall into the public domain.
5. Ending the unsuccessful wars on drugs/terrorism/poverty while consolidating the HUGE police and intelligent agencies. No more DEA, DHS, ATF, and misc alphabet soup agencies.
6. Limits and real punishments on corporations that hurt people by breaking the law (taking stock and other investment earnings as fines).

Basically they want to curb the huge corporate government that has come about in recent years. I personally am a democrat, but my party's wheeny attitude towards everything is just sad. They had it all and yet let it slip and now with the Massachusetts election come and gone I just have given up.