View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Buying new makes sense from the point that you have a factory warranty. So, if you don't want to fix it besides "Wear and Tear" items, it does make sense to buy it new and dump in soon after the warranty expires.

However, for someone like me who will screw around with the car and thus void the warranty it can't make sense to buy new. In the manufacturer's defense, you can't expect them to warranty a car after you chipped it or put a shift kit or other things in them.

So for me, it doesn't make financial sense to buy new seeing as how I am going to void the warranty when I try to increase the power of the car. OTOH, if you are going to buy the car new and not screw around with it and you plan to dump it soon after the warranty expires because you don't want to fix it, there is a case for that.
There can be an argument for new, as you said, based on the warranty. My wife used to drive an old ( and paid-for ) Ford Taurus. Not a bad car, but when the electronic sensors began to go, it became a real headahe. She'd call me, stranded. I'd have to leave what I was doing and rescue her and the car.
In 2003 we bought our second new car ever. Its been a great "appliance"; starts, run, A/C works, all systems have been flawless to this point. The only remaining warranties are the panel perforation (rust), and power train. We will likely keep it until it becomes unreliable, or someone hits it.

I drive my 300SD, or my F250 Diesel ( not a power stroke), or my company vehicle.--All older vehicles.