View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 PM
10mm MW

I was talking with one of my customers who has a 240D that he races on parking lot road courses mostly. (I tuned up his IP last spring). He is looking to step it up a notch or two and we talked about what the current limitations were yada yada.

At the end of the brainstorming session, he decided he wants to put a turbo on it with an IC, and build a new IP with 8mm elements if they work out, or 6.5mm ones if the 8mms don't. Also the governor would be gutted like a fish. The only governing function we agreed is useful for a "race car" would be the idle governor, the Torque Control and Max speed go by by.

As we talked about the idea it just made more sense. Any fuelling curve control that was absolutely necessary could be done via the ALDA rod, which also would be used to control the throttle sensitivity.

This set up is not intended for road use, (at this point), only closed course, on / off style driving, where the driver is limited to the driver, not the fueling curve happy governor.

This is just heresy until I get a test bench up and running and compare the controlability of governed and non-governed.

I plan on ordering some 8mm elements around the first of March, should take about two weeks to get them in they said. Then the fun begins.