View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 PM
10mm MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTA-Cummins View Post
I seem to recall being told that the MW has a shorter control collar length than the M pumps and as such it increases its fuel delivery quantity/mm of rack travel more quickly. This was supposedly one of the reasons for building M pumps rather than MW's as the MW's with big plungers became very touchy when on the engine. I know my M pump has a fair bit more travel on the speed control lever than my MW and that helps to reduce the sensitivity as well. Has anyone verified what the control distances are on the two pumps?
One nice feature of the MW IP is the ALDA rod. Basically speaking, moving it up or down changes the pivot point for the rack lever and thus changes the amount of rack travel for a given throttle lever travel. One could use this feature to control the "Sensitivity" of the throttle.

I still have to look, but I want to order the Delivery Valves that the 8mm Elements use and see what the difference is between them and the 5.5mm Element Delivery Valves. If the collar is different there may be some benefit in drivability.

Another thing I would want is to get some extrude honed nozzles. I am thinking around 25% larger area. Reason behind my thinking is given a set quantity of fuel and injection time, with a larger nozzle circumference, the amount the pintel would have to move would be less than with a smaller circumference.

As a result of the reduced pintle lift, the gap between the pintle and the nozzle orifice that the fuel passes through would be tighter which would aid in atomization.

A smaller orifice would require that the pintel lifts higher, making the gap wider resulting in a thicker fuel stream so to speak.

In addition, if you reduce the length of injection time and increase the amount of fuel, I could see a small orifice pintel over traveling from a pressure serge. A larger orifice would be better at releasing the pressure while keeping as tight of a gap as possible.

All and all, IMO one can not change one thing in a balanced system and expect it to still perform as a balanced system.

If one changes one aspect of a balanced system, the other aspects must also be changed to compensate for the first change.