View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG58 View Post
Actually LPG resists Det VERY well and here in the states is much cheaper than Gasoline. The problem with LPG though is that in a mixer situation (a mixer is the same thing as a gas carb), a much greater volume of the intake charge is taken up by the gaseous LPG as opposed to the liquid gasoline which means that less net charge can enter the chamber. A direct injected LPG engine would make crazy power, run cleaner, and be able to run some pretty silly CR's.

The only other problem is that LPG doesn't have any lubricating properties that gas has on the valve stem, so you get much more wear on an already stressed part. There's pro's and con's to both.
too true MAG....bit difficult an engine to sort from here really due to the M103 being mechanical injection only That's why IM injector ports were bunged. To run it basically as a carb (how it's set up now). Also, for ease of putting back to petrol (gas in US). Liquid injection would be nice but very expensive & uses different cylinder & everything else btw. This is way over my budget & intension for car

A mixer indeed yield good results but I believe it is the tune ie AFR that is the concern here. This engine has suffered heat/corrosion. No brainer. Just what went wrong I won't know fully til' rebuilder has a sqiz. I believe it ran too lean amongst other things.

Rebuild was an abortion full stop!

On a brighter note, I have sourced a brilliant LPG man near where I live so, will be talking to him soon. He does the Gas Research conversions down here. After rebuild, he can get it right from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid1981 View Post
I saw this car for sale a while back on carsales... i'm in melbourne too, interested to see how this goes.
Yep, he resorted to EBay auction I knew what I was getting though, other than the rooted engine of course, that was a bonus

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you? I'll have to catch up when it's all ready to roll

um.....why have men got nipples